Bienville Lumber hosting job fair

In mid 2021 the Hunt Forest Products and Tolko Industries Ltd. (Tolko) announced that they would be building a $240 million, state-of-the art Sawmill in Bienville Parish, near Taylor, La. Construction began in early 2022. They are expecting to begin operations this year.

The sawmill will employ approximately 60 people at first and then approximately 130 when it begins operating at full capacity.

They are currently in the process of starting the hiring process for the new plant. They will be hosting a job fair on March 7 from 9 a.m. to 5 p.m. at Northwest Louisiana Technical Community College- Minden Campus.

Hiring representatives will be present to conduct onsite interviews for job seekers. They are asking that you please bring a resume to the fair.

Careers being hired for include administrative, maintenance and mill positions at all levels. They are looking to fill positions for electricians, millwrights, operators, technicians, mechanics, supervisors and more.

The sawmill will consume:

  • 1.3 Million Metric tons of logs annually
  • 40,000 loads of logs annually
  • 800 loads of logs per week
  • 80-90 loads of residuals per week

The forest resource surrounding Taylor, LA is primarily comprised of southern yellow pine, with a smaller component of oak/hickory and oak/gum/cypress types.  Southern yellow pine forest types cover 53% of the total timberland area while hardwood and mixed hardwood-conifer forest types cover the remaining 47%.

Facts about the new sawmill:

  • Location:  1643 Highway 80, Gibsland, LA; site of the former Weyerhaeuser Taylor Sawmill
  • Acreage: 255 acres, including the existing Taylor sawmill site and adjacent timber land
  • Construction Start: First Quarter of 2022
  • Estimated Completion and Operation: Second Quarter of 2023
  • Cost: Approximately $240 million
  • Employees: 60 at initial operation; 130 at full operation
  • Indirect Jobs: 300+during construction
  • Average wage: Close to $20 per hour
  • Production Capacity: 320 million board feet annually
  • Timber Requirements: 1.3 million tons annually
  • Log Dimensions: Maximum butt diameter: 20 inches, Minimum tip diameter: 6 inches. Maximum log length: 65 feet, Minimum log length: 20 feet.
  • Workforce Training: Louisiana Department of Economic Development FastStart workforce development program, in coordination with Bossier Parish Community College
  • Ownership: 50/50 joint ownership between Hunt Forest Products of Ruston, LA, and Tolko Industries Ltd. of Vernon, British Columbia.  Hunt will manage and operate the mill day-to-day.

To report an issue or typo with this article â€“ CLICK HERE