It is that time of the year.
Severe weather moved through portions of Northwest Louisiana Wednesday, June 14, bringing in marble-sized hail, high wind speeds, a downpour of rain and lots of lightening.
As of 6:30 p.m. Wednesday evening, approxiamately 100 Claiborne Electric customers in Bienville were without power and about 200 Entergy customers, as well.
By Thursday morning most of the power has been restored with Claiborne Electric only showing about 10 customers still without power between Claiborne and Bienville Parish.
As we continue into this stormy season, please be prepared and follow the safety guidelines provided by Red Cross.
- Pay attention to weather alerts and local information. Postpone outdoor activities if the forecast calls for thunderstorms.
- When you hear thunder, seek shelter inside a sturdy building and move to a basement or an interior room on the lowest floor. Stay away from glass windows and doors. Stay inside until weather forecasts indicate it is safe to leave.
- Lightning can be dangerous even when you are inside.
- Avoid using devices connected to electrical outlets.
- Avoid running water. Lightning can travel through plumbing and water lines.
- Remember, no place outside is safe when thunderstorms are in the area. If you are caught outside in a thunderstorm, keep moving toward a safe shelter.
- Sheds, gazebos, dugouts, and bleachers do not protect from lightning and high winds.
- It is dangerous to take shelter under a tree as it is the leading cause of death from lightning strikes. You could also be killed or injured by strong winds blowing down trees and branches.
- Being in a vehicle is safer than being outside; however, if you have time, drive to the closest sturdy building, and take shelter inside.
- If you are driving and can’t get to a sturdy building, pull off the road and park in a place where falling trees and power lines won’t hit you.
- Flash flooding happens quickly. Move to higher ground before floodwaters reach you. Never walk, swim, or drive through floodwater. Turn Around! Don’t Drown!
To report future outages you can contact Claiborne Electric at 1-800-900-9406.
To report future outages you can contact Entergy at 1-800-9OUTAGE.
To report an issue or typo with this article – CLICK HERE