Cassie Williams (DEM, 29%) and Michael Melerine (REP, 28%) will be up on the ballot in a runoff for the April 24 election. The BESE District 4 seat represents ten parishes in Northwest Louisiana, including Bienville, Bossier, Caddo, De Soto, Natchitoches, Red River, Sabine, Vernon, Webster, and Winn. Voter turnout in the ten parishes was low at about 10%, while voter turnout in Bienville Parish was a little higher at 12%. Williams and Melerine ran a close race and received a total of 10,764 votes and 10,359 votes respectively in the ten parishes.
Here are some important dates to remember:
- March 24 – Last day to register in person or by mail
- April 3 – Last day to register online
- April 10-17 (excluding Sunday) 8:30am- 6:00 pm – Early voting will be held at the Bienville Parish Registrar’s Office
- April 20 – Last day to request a mail ballot
- April 23 – Last day for my office to receive a mail ballot
According to the Bienville Parish Registrar of Voters, “Bienville Parish has a total of 9,244 voters. Only 1,111 voters cast their vote in this election. Broken down, that’s 59 early voters, 324 mail ballots returned (we mail out 737), and 728 election day voters. That’s only a 12% turnout. Let’s do better Bienville Parish, cast your vote this April!”