In May of 1922, Reverend J.C. Cox of Mt. Lebanon was in Arcadia working on the “legal preliminaries in connection with the organization of a country club to be located about two miles west of Mt. Lebanon.” Cox and other organizers planned to call it the Mt. Lebanon Country Club. It was expected to be a place for outdoor sports and recreation for the Camp Fire Girls, Boy Scouts, and for the families of club members.
The selected location was said to be ideal in that with minimal labor and expense, workers could have constructed a dam. Water fed from three big springs would have kept the several-acre lake filled to a depth of up to 25 feet. A gravel road was planned to be within two miles of the lake. The final two miles were to consist of a “model dirt road.” Asphalt roads were not yet in the vicinity.
The Sutton brothers of Mt. Lebanon, who owned the local sawmill, agreed to lease the proposed property to the organization at no cost as long as it was used to be as a country club. The Sutton brothers also agreed to provide labor for building the dam and for construction materials for the club house at their cost.
The club house was intended to be a two story structure with at least 10 rooms surrounded by a wide gallery or atrium on both floors.
The country club was to have been an ideal place for picnics, fishing, swimming, boating, and bathing. Indoor plumbing was not available in Mt. Lebanon at this time. The organizers hoped to eventually add basketball and tennis courts.
The organization advertised for charter membership, which was limited to 100 members at $25.00 each. After the first hundred memberships were sold, the price would be raised to $50 each. By the second week of May, 1922, a large number of people had already applied for membership.
Despite Reverend Cox’s hard work and best intentions, the Mt. Lebanon Country Club never came to fruition.
Source: Bienville Democrat, May 11, 1922, p.1.
To report an issue or typo with this article – CLICK HERE