The new Hunt Forest Products Sawmill in Taylor- the largest new industrial project in the parish in recent memory is still on the hunt for employees.
They are expecting to be fully staffed and and operable by the last quarter of the year.
They currently have the following openings:
Dry End Superintendent
Dry End Supervisor
General Sawmill Utility
Quality Control Technician
Saw Filer Manager
The mill will run 4 days a week in two 10 hour shifts (80 hours per week). This state-of-the-art sawmill will require only five people in the actual sawmill from the time the stem hits the deck to the time a forklift driver pulls the lumber out of the stacker to go into the kilns. The maintenance, electrical and programmer staff are who make mills such as this run.
Hunt will be working with Delta Community College in Minden to ensure that they develop a curriculum which will benefit those seeking employment in modern sawmills such as the one in Taylor. Hunt has been successful in the past at hiring graduates from these programs to work in their sawmills.
Facts about the new sawmill:
- Location: 1643 Highway 80, Gibsland, LA; site of the former Weyerhaeuser Taylor Sawmill
- Acreage: 255 acres, including the existing Taylor sawmill site and adjacent timber land
- Construction Start: First Quarter of 2022
- Estimated Completion and Operation: Second Quarter of 2023
- Cost: Approximately $240 million
- Employees: 60 at initial operation; 130 at full operation
- Indirect Jobs: 300+during construction
- Average wage: Close to $20 per hour
- Production Capacity: 320 million board feet annually
- Timber Requirements: 1.3 million tons annually
- Log Dimensions: Maximum butt diameter: 20 inches, Minimum tip diameter: 6 inches. Maximum log length: 65 feet, Minimum log length: 20 feet.
- Workforce Training: Louisiana Department of Economic Development FastStart workforce development program, in coordination with Bossier Parish Community College
- Ownership: 50/50 joint ownership between Hunt Forest Products of Ruston, LA, and Tolko Industries Ltd. of Vernon, British Columbia. Hunt will manage and operate the mill day-to-day.
To view additional details on job openings or to apply, please click the link below.
To report an issue or typo with this article – CLICK HERE